Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - April

Neighbourhood Planning for Part Parished/Part non-parished areas.

Daniel Hudson, modified 12 Years ago.

Neighbourhood Planning for Part Parished/Part non-parished areas.

Advocate Posts: 121 Join Date: 25/04/12 Recent Posts
I have a proposal for a neighbourhood plan for an area part of which has a Parish Council and part of which has a Parish Meeting.There is spatial logic in both areas being considered together and both Parish Council and Parish Meeting are supportive of a joint plan. However I am advised that a Parish Meeting does not have Parish Council status for the purpose of the act. The Act is explicit that only Parish Councils can prepare Neighbourhood Plans for Parished areas. It also states that a Parish Council can prepare a plan affecting a neighbouring parish with the consent of the relevant Parish Council. Can a Parish Council act as neighbourhood planning body for an adjoining non-parished area and if so, how is the consent of the non-parished area to be sought? Or is it legally impossible for a single plan to cover both?
Former Member, modified 12 Years ago.

Re: Neighbourhood Planning for Part Parished/Part non-parished areas.

Daniel I'm not as up-to-date on the regulations as I would like (or as some others will be), so please check further before progressing. If I am not mistaken, there would be two options: 1) The Parish Council (PC) could apply to designate a Neighbourhood Area that covers both the PC and Parish Meeting areas. or 2) The Parish Meeting apply for Neighbourhood Forum status. Following this, the two organisations could work together to produce a joint plan (with either taking the lead role). Just my thoughts. Kind regards David
Daniel Hudson, modified 12 Years ago.

Advocate Posts: 121 Join Date: 25/04/12 Recent Posts
Thanks David I think we've arrived at the same conclusion. The difficulty with Option 2 is that the Act appears to stipulate that a Neighbourhood Forum which is not a Parish Council cannot produce a plan for a parished area. A third option would be for two plans to be produced and examined in parallel although this would require that the Parish Meeting be constituted as a qualifying body. Realistically I think Option 1 is the only way forward.

Now this may be an odd question but would the Parish Council need to apply to be recodnised as the 'Neighbourhood Forum' for the area outside of it's boundaries. Also I would think that Option 2 was the most appropriate with the 2 groups working together to produce a singular plan as has been the case with several adjoining Parish Councils. Option 3 would be quite costly to the LPA as you would need to seperate examinations and you run the risk of one area accepting it in the referrendum and the other voting against it.

Hi Daniel. I'm with Kirsty. Find a way of making option 2 work - even if it means whingeing about the obstacles. Alongside the cost (and risk) implications, the fact that it makes sense to you as the LPA as a 'place' must count very highly. To turn the issue on its head, how difficult / expensive / painful is it to change parish boundaries ?