Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - April

Criteria for accepting a neighbourhood plan

Former Member, modified 11 Years ago.

Criteria for accepting a neighbourhood plan

Hello, Does any LPA have any criteria they will judge forthcoming neighbourhood plans? I am in the process of producing guidance for the public and have been trying to devise criteria which the plans will have to meet, other than the regs. Guidance I have seen so far is vague, and I think some communities will use neighbourhood plans as a way of dealing with issues best dealt in another way. Thanks Jagdeep
Daniel Hudson, modified 11 Years ago.

Re: Criteria for accepting a neighbourhood plan

Advocate Posts: 121 Join Date: 25/04/12 Recent Posts
Given the demanding and complex nature of the process, the requirement for conformity with the local plan and the requirement for referendum, it seems to me that communities should ask themselves whether a Neighbourhood Plan is the right tool for the job. i) If the community is looking to make some hard decisions about development for itself, it seems to me that close engagement with the Local Authority's local plan process could be a better option. ii) If the plan is intended to be aspirational and have a community advocacy role, it will have greater freedom if unconstrained by the neighbourhood planning process. There is some useful info on the CPRE website which might help you to draft some criteria. http://www.planninghelp.org.uk/improve-where-you-live/shape-your-local-area/neighbourhood-plans The CPRE