Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - April

Neighbourhood Areas - NDPs and Community Right to Build

Former Member, modified 10 Years ago.

Neighbourhood Areas - NDPs and Community Right to Build

Good afternoon all, Are the neighbourhood areas referred to by both Neighbourhood Plans and Community Right to build orders the same? If so, could a parish council apply for a neighbourhood area if there is an existing community right to build order within their parish? Many thanks Tom
Former Member, modified 10 Years ago.

Re: Neighbourhood Areas - NDPs and Community Right to Build

Tom, My understading is that a Neighbourhood Area (for a Neighbourhood Plan) and a 'Particular Area' (for the Right to Build) can overlap. So if there is a Right to Build Order this wouldn't prevent the Parish Council applying to create a Neighbourhood Area as a basis for a Plan. However, I suggest you raise this issue directly with Locality who are advising groups on the CRTB. We raised a similar same question with Locality in June last year and I've copied their response below - but it may be worth checking again to see if there's been any further clarification: "In respect to your first question about the 'particular area' we feel that it is anticipated that in most cases this will be the same as the Neighbourhood area. However, we are also of the view that there will be cases where the two areas can differ. A wider area, defined as the neighbourhood plan area, can have more than one group which may wish to bring forward a Community Right to Build. In these cases our understanding is that the group may see itself as operating across the whole of the neighbourhood or just part of it. However, whilst our view is that the two areas can differ we are still seeking final clarity on this issue." David