Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

SPDs not linked to a plan policy

Ryan Shepherd, modified 13 Years ago.

SPDs not linked to a plan policy

New Member Posts: 15 Join Date: 20/10/11 Recent Posts
The CLG plan making manual talks about adopting SPD not linked to any development plan policy but consistent with regional and national guidance. We have an SPD on which work has been substantially completed (including sustainability appraisal) and which was intended to hang off an RSS policy. Now that has gone, and there is no relevant saved UDP policy, it is facing the prospect of being shelved until our core strategy is adopted. Taking the CLG plan making manual wording at face value ("Supplementary planning documents are not required to have a specific link to or ‘hang off’ a development plan document policy, but they must be consistent with national planning policy and the relevant regional plan") seems to indicate that we could go ahead and adopt our SPD now (in the absence of regional policy it would still be consistent with national guidance). Has anyone else gone down the route of adopting SPD without linking to a specific policy, or does anyone know of anywhere that has? Any thoughts would be welcome.
Former Member, modified 13 Years ago.

Re: SPDs not linked to a plan policy

Ryan, I hope you will get a more positive response from someone else, but for now, I just wanted to say that, although I am unaware of any examples, I agree that what you propose is in the 'spirit' of what is in the manual. Also, in the golden age of 'It's up to you' I would suggest you carry on with the work and see where it leads you. The links to SA are important in showing an audit to evidence, and this is clearly not intended to be 'policy via the back door'. If there is a need to adopt the SPD in advance of the core strategy, I would suggest you go ahead as planned. It is, of course, easy for me to say!
Ryan Shepherd, modified 13 Years ago.

Re: SPDs not linked to a plan policy

New Member Posts: 15 Join Date: 20/10/11 Recent Posts
Thanks Adam. I posed this question to CLG and have just had a response which seems to echo your advice. They agreed with the interpretation of the plan making manual and indicated that providing we are satisfied that it complied with national guidance and didn't conflict with local policy that SPD could be adopted. Looks like a lot of time and money spent on our SPD won't be wasted after all!