Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - Ddoe

Broadband and the LDF

Former Member, Addaswyd 13 Years yn ôl.

Broadband and the LDF

I was wondering how (if?) other authorities were looking to support the roll out of broadband/high speed internet through their LDF? Its been suggested through our consultation on the preferred approach Core Strategy that the LDF has an important role to play in reducing inequalities in access to the internet. It is a valid issue for the East Riding (being a predominantly rural authority with pockets of relatively poor access) though I'm less sure how we might go about in trying to address this through the Core Strategy. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Broadband and the LDF

Live discussion on making the most of Broadband funding in rural areas here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/local-government-network/2011/apr/05/superfast-broadband-funding-rural-areas happening now! (12pm 6/4) John

Hi Caroline, This is an issue for us too being predominantly rural. Full broadband coverage is highly likely to be unviable in some parts of the County. We are looking at those areas where coverage won't be achieved by 2014 by the private sector. For those priority areas, we will then be encouraging district and borough authorities to incorporate the issue in to their Infrastructure Delivery Plans, and subsequently their CIL Charging Schedules. Harriet

Hi Caroline, last year I completed my planning dissertation on the role and scope of planning in delivering Digital infrastructure, so I know a bit about this. It is going to be very difficult to try and reduce inequalities of access through the Core Strategy unless you propose policy wording that specifically makes people input ducting or fibre on new developments etc. This is because in general it is the private sector that provides the service and it is still too expensive and not-cost effective to supply services, especially superfast services into rural areas, arguably not deliverable at present. However, good examples you could investigate are Swindon, who have provided free Wifi for all residents across the town. Milton keynes who are a bit of trailblaser in providing broadband and Ashford in Kent (where I work) who managed to put something about it in their Core Strategy, see paragraph 9.25 http://www.ashford.gov.uk/pdf/Planning_Adopted_Core_Strategy_July08.pdf n.b Make sure you diferentiate between Broaddband and Superfast Broadband services (more than 50mb e.g. BT Infinity) as there are huge cost differences, it is likely that at the present time remote rural areas would only be looking to achieve standard broadband products. Danielle

Thanks Danielle that is helpful. Do you have any information on the level of cost/contribution that developers can expect for installing ducting or fibre optic cabling in new developments? It would be useful for Section 106/CIL to have rough costs.