Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - Heddiw

Local Planning Regulations Consultation

Former Member, Addaswyd 12 Years yn ôl.

Local Planning Regulations Consultation

Just glancing through the above issued last week and rather surprised to see that in the 'Duty to Cooperate' list at Part 2 paragraph 6 (1) and 6 (2) there is no mention of neighbouring local authorities - which I thought was what this was primarily aimed at. Still I am sure all the others who are named will be only too happy to get round everyone's' tables and start talking detail - al at once. Neighbouring authorities are of course mentioned in Part 1 'Interpretation' paragraph 2 (1) within the list of 'specific consultation bodies' - so why are they not also listed in the duty to cooperate as well. Maybe I am missing something?
Daniel Hudson, Addaswyd 12 Years yn ôl.

Re: Local Planning Regulations Consultation

Advocate Postiadau: 121 Dyddiad Ymuno: 25/04/2012 Bostiadau diweddar
'I am sure all the others who are named will be only too happy to get round everyone's' tables and start talking detail - al at once'... Especially when they are duty bound to co-operate with a zillion neighbourhood plans!
Andy Hill, Addaswyd 12 Years yn ôl.

New Member Postiadau: 11 Dyddiad Ymuno: 20/10/2011 Bostiadau diweddar
The Localism Bill places a duty to co-operate on all local planning authorities, county councils and other prescribed bodies or persons - the draft regulations are confirming the identity of the latter and do not need to repeat the inclusion of local authorities.

I'm not sure how 'public participation' on the SCI (current Regulation 26) will be covered under the 'new' (consulation) Regulations. Any ideas?

When you check back to the current version of the Localism Bill (clause 90 - Duty to co-operate in relation to planning of sustainable development) the 'duty' does refer to local planning authorities and as such this should mostly cover the concern raised regarding (most) neighbouring local authorities. However, as is often the case with national policy / legislation it poorly reflects the structure of two-tier local government, which still exists across parts of the country. Whilst the draft regs includes 'highways authorities' it does not include Children Services Authorities (CSAs), Libraries Authorities, Lead Local Flood Authorities, Waste Disposal Authorities (WDAs) etc... which are all responsible bodies for public infrastructure and will no doubt have an important role to play in delivering sustainable development. In two-tier government these functions are primarily carried out by County Councils, which are not covered by the catch all 'local planning authorities' (other than for minerals & waste matters) under the plan making system.

I think that most of these issues are caught up in the "county matters" part of the regs: The bit that refers to "strategic matters" (ie those requiring cooperation) being defined (in 4(b)(i)) as "county matters "

Yes - can see that the 'duty to co-operate' as per the recently released version of the Bill as amended by the House of Lords does specifically refer to County Councils under 98 (1) (b) and also county matters under 98 (4) (b) (i) and (ii). However, it is still puzzling why highways authorities have been specifically prescribed (under L) bearing in mind these are either County Councils, Unitary Councils or District Councils (under delegation from County Councils) and therefore already covered?