Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Ouvert | En cours - juillet 2012 | Dernière modification - Hier

Social Rented versus Affordable Rent in LDF Policy

Former Member, modifié il y a 12 années.

Social Rented versus Affordable Rent in LDF Policy

My Council is engaged in a debate with developers regarding the appropriateness of the Affordable Rent model. The context is that the Affordable Rent model is not seen as affordable in areas (such as where I work) with very high private rents. Hence Affordable Rent tenures will be unaffordable to those on the housing register in priority need (particularly families) - certainly at rents charged at 80% of market rents, but even at rents significantly below this threshold. This takes account of reduced local housing allowance and an overall cap on benefits coming into force. Therefore the Council's preferred approach would be to essentially retain its planning policy to seek 80% of developmments of 10 or more dwellings as SOCIAL rented (i.e. using the 'old' model). We will be consulting on our (development management) Housing Policies in early 2012. I'm therefore seeking views from other authorities who are minded to adopt a similar approach in their LDF. Feel free to email me direct: mbates@oxford.gov.uk
thumbnail
Jo Witherden, modifié il y a 12 années.

Re: Social Rented versus Affordable Rent in LDF Policy

Enthusiast Publications: 33 Date d'inscription: 21/10/11 Publications Récentes
Also related to this is the uncertainty whether affordable rent will remain the main model of grant-funded delivery after 2015 when the current spending programme is reviewed. Whatever solution goes into a 15 or 20 year plan needs to be flexible. I would be interested to read any thoughts on how this is being tackled in other's policies.