Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Infrastructure Delivery Plan and Telephony/Broadband Services

Former Member, modified 12 Years ago.

Infrastructure Delivery Plan and Telephony/Broadband Services

I'm in the process of updating our Infrastructure Delivery Plan and interested in knowing if anyone has any contacts for BT, Virgin Media and the Mobile Phone operators to get details of their coverage Regards, James

Re: Infrastructure Delivery Plan and Telephony/Broadband Services

James, I'm afraid I don't have an answer to your question, but am interested in this topic in light of the draft NPPG paragraphs 31 which include telecoms and especially paragraph 96 which states "In preparing Local Plans, local planning authorities should support the expansion of the electric communications networks, including telecommunications and high speed broadband". Does anyone have any idea how to do this? Ideally PAS (or even better the Government) would issue some guidance in this area. I don't want to hijack James' post thoughm and I would also be interested in contact details for BT etc .

I am afraid I don't have the answer, but I am interested in this discussion following a previous post I made to do with utility providers: http://www.pas.gov.uk/pas/forum/thread-maint.do?topicId=1739642

If it helps, you may find someone in your DM team are sent info annually on the roll out plans of all mobile operators-MOA. These would give you the annual proposals and might provide you with a contact for more information. The Government has also made money available for the expansion of broadband in some areas, in particular the poorly served rural areas.. In Dorset, the County Council are co-ordinating this project. And BT are upgrading the "green boxes" in urban areas to improve broadband- again, information I gleaned from a DM colleague.