Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Ouvert | En cours - juillet 2012 | Dernière modification - Hier

Climate Change Requirements and the Legal Compliance Tool (Self Assessment)

Former Member, modifié il y a 12 années.

Climate Change Requirements and the Legal Compliance Tool (Self Assessment)

I was recently reminded about the climate change requirements in the 2004 Planning Act (Inserted by section 182 of the 2008 Act): 182 Development plan documents: climate change policies In section 19 of PCPA 2004 (preparation of local development documents) after subsection (1) insert— “(1A) Development plan documents must (taken as a whole) include policies designed to secure that the development and use of land in the local planning authority's area contribute to the mitigation of, and adaptation to, climate change.” This prompted me to remind myself about other legal requirements so I went looking for the Legal Compliance Tool (Self Assessment). The tool is available on this site (Home > Support > Making plans > Soundness self-assessment toolkit) The legal tool does not identify this requirement. Instead it has it in bold as a matter which is non-statutory but expected of councils.

Re: Climate Change Requirements and the Legal Compliance Tool (Self Assessm

The toolkit needs updating - it needs also for example to take account of the implmentation of the 2010 equalities act from Aprial 1st of this year

Re: Climate Change Requirements and the Legal Compliance Tool (Self Assessm

Yes, the SSATK (as we call it) is out of date. In a dark room somewhere a couple of people are working on its replacement - not sure what it's going to be called but its a way of testing your (adopted) plan in the context of the NPPF. This would pick up the climate change issue, but not (possibly) the equalities issue. Expected in draft in Feb.