Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - Ddoe

Development Management Policies

Former Member, Addaswyd 11 Years yn ôl.

Development Management Policies

Hello all, We have an adopted Core Strategy are in the process of writing our Site Allocations document and accompanying generic development management policies. As we have been writing these, the subject of repeating national policy has come up. In some cases (e.g. regarding heritage assets of national significance) it is difficult to expand upon the NPPF when writing a policy and therefore the question of whether it is needed has come up. Although there is now nothing that says that we can't repeat national policy, would we be questioned for doing so? Has anyone else given this any thought? Cheers Andy

Re: Development Management Policies

If we assume that the Government are keen on simplyfying and streamlining planning guidance, then it seems best not to repeat national planning policy. However, this doesn't seem to square with the recent PINS model policy on sustainable development: see separate thread http://www.pas.gov.uk/pas/forum/thread-maint.do?topicId=2195971. So I'm not clear on what the CLG view would be.

>> However, this doesn't seem to square with the recent PINS model policy on sustainable development: Good point. I'm sure that in my travels I have indeed seen a document somewhere which states that national policy should generally NOT be cut and pasted into lower level documents. However this example is probably a one-off : a stern reminder from above that LPAs should treat the NPPF and its broad aims seriously.

Hi Andrew, I think the absence of any firm direction does put the ball in your court (even if there is a break for bad weather). I think we will have to get used to using the NPPF in decision making, and should learn to do so as soon as possible. As you have said, for some areas, it is difficult to expand on the NPPF policy anyway. From a workload point of view, why would you want to give yourself lots more to do? Any policy you write will be open to comment and review and further comment, not to mention SA etc. The NPPF policy provides you with a 'ready meal' option. It may not be to everyone's taste....ok, I'll stop that analogy now. So I'd say it's not whether you will be questioned for repeating NPPF policy that should drive your decision, it is whether there is any locally driven need (policy, not political) to do so. Adam

Hi On a related point, we too are just starting a Site Allocations and DM policies document having adopted our Core Strategy late last year. We were wondering what happens to SPD's if there is no longer a Local Plan Policy for them to hang on. For example we were thinking that we may not need a Telecomms policy any longer because of the NPPF - but we have a useful Telecomms SPD. Bearing in mind that the Glossary in the NPPF states that SPD's 'add further detail to policies in the Local Plan' are we right to assume that we need a specific policy (of some sort) to hang this from? I am struggling to link this - and some of our other SPDs to Core Strategy policies - except by very tenuous links! Thanks Katie