Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - Ddoe

Primary Care Trusts and the duty to cooperate

Former Member, Addaswyd 11 Years yn ôl.

Primary Care Trusts and the duty to cooperate

Planning authorities have a duty to cooperate with Primary Care Trusts established under Section 18 of the NHS Act 2006. PCTs are in the process of being abolished by the Health and Social Care Act. Allegedly local authorities (in our case the County Councils, of which we have two) are taking over some PCT functions, whereas Clinical Commissioning Groups (of which there will be three for our area) are taking over others. Who therefore should we be cooperating with? Please don't say 'all of the above'!

Re: Primary Care Trusts and the duty to cooperate

The RTPI has been doing a lot of work on the Heatlh Service transition including giving evidence to the CLG Select Committee. Counties/UAs are taking over public health. CCGs are taking over responsibility for health provision. Key element is the Health and Well Being Board which has to produce a strategy so that would be a good place to start. Important within Duty to Cooperate to make sure that the HWB Strategy reflects the various core strategies in the county. We have suggested that the necessary cooperation between districts on the HWBoard (usually only one allowed on it) could be best generated as an extension of usual cooperation between districts on strategic planning matters. In fact a lot of the issues are very similar - transport, population growth etc. And - no change here - vital that district planners are fully linked in to the production of hte Joint Strategic Needs Assessment. Happy to discuss further - via peter.shand@rtpi.org.uk http://www.rtpi.org.uk/knowledge/topics/health/

Most helpful Richard thankyou. I've done a bit of digging regarding our two Health & Wellbeing Boards (we are a National Park straddling two County Councils). One seems much more organised than the other, where I struggled to even establish it existed never mind who sits on it and their plans for a HWB Strategy. I'm not sure whether we will be able to gain a meaningful respons from them given their current 'shadow' status, however we will endeavour to engage with them.

And further to my original query, just seen this announcement in the DCLG newsletter: The Health and Social Care Act 2012 abolishes Strategic Health Authorities and other health bodies such as Primary Care Trusts. The Government will shortly amend the Local Planning Regulations 2012 to reflect the newly established bodies, the clinical commissioning groups and the National Health Service Commissioning Board. These changes will affect regulations 2, specific consultation bodies, and 4, Duty to Cooperate bodies.