Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Looking for good practice in engaging the community in planning

Former Member, modified 18 Years ago.

As part of the case studies series, the Planning Advisory Service will soon be publishing a paper on new approaches that planning authorities are using to engage their communities in planning proposals for their areas. We will be reporting the work that Camden are doing to increase the number of black and ethnic minortity people who are responding to planning consultations. However we need to have some more examples of innovative approaches. If your local authority, or one that you know of is moving beyond the "usual suspects" to engage a wider representation, or overcoming consultation fatigue through new consultation techniques then please let us know so that we can find out more and publish this good practice for others to try.

Hello, I am currently carrying out a dissertation covering similar issues as those mentioned in this abstract, and would be very interested in viewing any work that you have currently carried out. Your assistance in this matter would be greatly asppreciated, Thanks Jonny Pennick

Jonny, Good luck with your dissertation! There will be a case study published by PAS very soon regarding the work that the LB Camden is doing to engage a wider diversity of the community in planning. Camden have a target under their PSA to increase the number of people within the MBE groups who respond to consultations on planning applications. They are funding a community development officer to facilitate this work. Phillipa

I have recently undertaken an essay about the conflict between equity and efficency when consulting the public in development control. (In connection with an MA in Management and Public Policy). I think that this is a very badly neglected field which is at the coal face of community engagement in planning and governace generally. If you send me a link to tboswell@fareham.gov.uk then I will send a copy.
Former Member, modified 17 Years ago.

Hi Jonny, Just registered on the site, so may be too late to be helpful, but we (Manchester Disabled People's Access Group and the Community Network for Manchester) have done loads of work around "community engagement" in Manchester. There is information on the Community Network website and although we are the beginning of a long process developing best practice, what we have experienced may be helpful. I have also been involved (or not) in some of the regeneration issues where lack of consultation has led to some serious access problems! For more information, please email me on flickh@mdpag.org.uk with your tel no. There is also information, including the toolkit, on the Manchester City Council website at http://www.manchester.gov.uk/bestvalue/engage/
Best wishes, Flick Harris

Hello Flick, In reading your response to Jonny, I wondered how strongly your community engagement innitiatives were linked into Planning. Is it included in the statement of community engagement? Phillipa Silcock

Sorry for the delay in replying due to health problems, but yes, we were linked into the Planning process and we had a number of meetings around the consultations on the Local Development Framework documents including the SCI and also the Sustainability Appraisal. There are access issues and policies which I feel are still required but there are a number of people in the Planning Department at Manchester City Council that could discuss this further with you, including Helen Best and Karen Findlay in the Planning Strategy Team. Now that the new Design and Access Statements have been introduced at Planning Stage there is another opportunity for engaging members of communities but unfortunately, CABE's guidance was very lukewarm on this! Please email me if you would like more information, Best wishes, Flick