Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

computerised development control systems

Former Member, modified 18 Years ago.

Hi I have recently been appointed to Northumberland National Park Authority with the task of internalising the DC Service. It has historically been undertaken by Northumberland County Council. A major job that needs to be done quickly is to write a document setting out how to set up a computerised system for processing planning applications. The Authority intends to do this in house using a Customer Relationship Management package coupled with a GIS. Someone somewhere must have done this already – can anyone provide any help? I feel as though I’m trying to re-invent the wheel. Regards, Lucy Butler

Lucy There's masses of useful help, guidelines, best practice and toolkits on the Parsol website (http://www.parsol.gov.uk). Richard Goodwin

Lucy You might find it useful to have a word with the Peak District National Park (Sonia Davies) on this issue and also to bear in mind monitoring requirements. In Derbyshire we are currently employing consultants (CDP) to develop our monitoring systems which currently involve the County, City and 8 Districts and to include the Peak Park in the process. Our key goal is to get all the development control systems "talking to each other" and to reduce the amount of dual keying of data. Jon Whitaker (Derbyshire County Council)

We are currently doing something similar at Herts. The trick is to specify what you want the sytem to do and not how it should do it. Visiting other authorities helps identify what's good and bad in terms of designing the "perfect" system. Also work closely with your IT/Knowledge/Information Management people - great for specs and tenders!