Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - Heddiw

Splitting DC and Local Planning functions

Former Member, Addaswyd 18 Years yn ôl.

Does anyone have recent experience of Local Authorities where the DC (regulaltory) and Local Planning (strategic) functions have been placed in different departments, especially with regards to communication and monitoring?

Here at Nuneaton and Bedworth the 2 functions have been separate since Feb 2003 the Local Plan function in Chief Executives and DC in Environmental Health together with Building Control. The offices however are still physically next to each other which helps with communication monitoring is carried out using the same back office system At the moment it works well as the manangers of each section of which I am one have worked together for a long time. I would be willing to discuss it further if you want to contact me.
Graham Ritchie, Addaswyd 18 Years yn ôl.

Enthusiast Postiadau: 26 Dyddiad Ymuno: 20/10/2011 Bostiadau diweddar
At Wokingham, the functions were split in January 2005 with Development Control included in a dept with Building Control, Environmental Health, Trading Strandards, Registration & Licensing. Planning policy was moved into the corporate policy area with housing strategy/maintenance and work on the community strategy. There have been some problems in maintaining the links due to changes in staff, especially in development control. There has not been much impact on monitoring as both areas can access the same sets of data e.g. retail, census. You are welcome to contact me if you wish to discuss it further.

Staffordshire Moorlands DC do split DC and Local Planning Functions. Development Control sits within the Planning Department while Local Planning as the strategic arms sits with our Regeneration Department (Forward Plans). The main reason for the move a couple of years back was so that our Local Plans (LDF) reflected and incorporated regeneration more - especially as this is where so much money was tied up and was more available. The move has worked well and both departments are located next to eachother. I think open lines of communication are essential with this - whether the two areas are combined or separated.