Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Document retention & disposal policy - Planning Applications

thumbnail
John Theobald, modified 17 Years ago.

Enthusiast Posts: 61 Join Date: 19/10/11 Recent Posts
Our Planning department has been in-house scanning of planning applications since July 2005. We also have scanned applications in our electronic systems going back as far as April 2001. I am looking into establishing a document retention & disposal policy for planning applications. I have done a few searches, including the web, and it appears that quite a few councils have the same or similar retention policies on planning applications. However, I would like to find a standard guide to refer to rather than rely on guidance from various council websites. Is anyone aware of an authoritative standard guide to creating planning application documentation retention & disposal policy? Many thanks, John
Former Member, modified 17 Years ago.

Here at Calderdale we have been backscanning our oldest paper files for some years now. Our document retention policy is as follows: 1. MINERALS/WASTE FILES TO BE RETAINED IN THEIR ENTIRETY INDEFINITELY 2. ALL OTHER FILES Must be retained in their entirety for not less than 10 years following submission to allow for expiration of appeal and Ombudsman deadlines following implementation. After that retain on file (which may be an electronic copy): · 1 set of plans as originally submitted plus 1 set of approved plans only (duplicates and superceded to be removed) · Subsequent plans accepted as minor amendments · Application form and supporting information (E.I.A., Traffic studies etc.) · Decision notice · Record of representations sheet · Officers Committee/Panel report · Consultation responses · Post decision correspondence – condition compliance, approval of minor amendments etc. · Panel notes. · Photographs · Legal Agreements Everything else (including letters of representation) to be disposed of. However, this does not completely accord with best practice put forward by the Local Government Group of the Records Management Society of Great Britain which says that certain things should be kept for 15 years after completion of construction: Building files Plans Specifications Correspondence Applications Permits Certificates Objections Their document can be viewed in full at: http://www.rms-gb.org.uk/resources/91 We felt that scanning every letter of objection was unduly onerous and a waste of our scanning resources which, as at most authorities, is limited. We keep instead a record of all who have objected and of course their objections are summarised in the Officers report. If and when we have scanned to the 10 year mark, we may well need to review our practices. Sorry this response is so long but hope it helps.
thumbnail
John Theobald, modified 17 Years ago.

Carol, Many thanks for your detailed and helpful response. I've just come across the guidelines by the Records Management Society which you mention. This information will be a very useful basis to start. John
Former Member, modified 15 Years ago.

Re: Document retention & disposal policy - Planning Applications

John This was a long time ago now but did you ever establish a more robust retention and disposal policy for planning documentation, unfortunately the Records Management Society are reviewing their guidelines so I don't have any details from them to work from. Mike
thumbnail
John Theobald, modified 15 Years ago.

Re: Document retention & disposal policy - Planning Applications

Mike, Eventually, the Document retention & disposal policy was drawn up for the whole authority by our Information Governance Team last year as part of a corporate wide exercise for the organisation of Council information. Unfortunately, the document is only available internally and not accessed via the public website. John