Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

measuring parameters for permitted development Class A extension

Former Member, modified 14 Years ago.

measuring parameters for permitted development Class A extension

A side single storey extension with the external face of the front wall of the extension in line with the external face of the front ["principal elevation"] wall but of necessity to meet building regulations there is a soffite; fascia board and a gutter- is the criteria measuring based on the external wall faces. We have a grant certificate of lawfulness which is based on the wall faces duly approved and another where it is refused in that the soffite: fascia and gutter are the basis of measuring and goes beyond the line of the wall of the existing front elevation. This is spite of the main roof overhang and gutter to the existing house is disregarded. This seems illogical and obtuse - either it is the comparable wall lines or the comparable roof elements that are measured- but surely you cannot mix them up - wall versus soffite/fascia etc. Without going on about what poor legislation the PD is it seems that I cannot get a clear answer on this and PD is a postcode lottery. Ken McArdle Agent

Re: measuring parameters for permitted development Class A extension

I don't know if you were expecting a reply to your utterance but I would contend that - given compliance with the other limitations in Class A.1, the case you present is p.d. viz. A.1(d) which states, as you know, " would extend beyond a wall...". The roof is not the wall nor part of it. If it was construed to be "the Wall" then Classes B + C would be defunct. As a single storey addition the works cannot involve an addition or alteration to the roof of the existing dwelling. You will also note from Class C.1 that it conveniently tells us that an alteration to the roof of a dwelling is not permitted if " the alteration would protrude more than 150mm beyond the plane ..." It is therefore apparent to me that this distinction affirms the differentiation between wall and roof.

Re: measuring parameters for permitted development Class A extension

I think it should be the walls that ought to be compared but I fear that it may need an appeal to clarify the point, as the GPDO is not specific as to what part of the extension it refers to. New legislation shouldn't need so many appeals to clarify what it means, but very little thought appears to have been given to the drafting of the amended Part 1 which has led to numerous ambiguities, many of which still wait to be clarified.