Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Examples of Authorities who advocate an Open-book approach to planning

Former Member, modified 14 Years ago.

Examples of Authorities who advocate an Open-book approach to planning

I don't know if anybody can provide me with a LPA website that actively promotes an open book approach to planning?

Re: Examples of Authorities who advocate an Open-book approach to planning

Lisa, I'm curious,. What do you mean by 'Open Book Approach'? links? more detail? J.

Hi John I don't know if I can provide you with a definition of this but from my understanding its where an applicant/developer provides the LPA with the financial calculations about profit margins to demonstrate what can be accommodated in terms of planning gain/contributions towards affordable housing etc. I've heard this can work both for and against a local authoritity in terms of either accepting that they won't get/won't get much in terms of contributions or they can get more based on the information submitted. A process that the LPA can promote as good working practice to achieving greater community benefits. I stand to be corrected on this. I've been searching for a LPA who do promote this approach. Lisa

There are a lot of authorities that will insist on a viability study before agreeing or renegotiating s 106 obligations - most of the London authorities will insist upon this - although I am not sure home many will have anything on thier website. Ashford Borough Council have information on their approach in the recession to s106 on their website which may also touch upon this.

The issue of open book discussion of financial viability is discussed in the PAS case study "Open for Business" which was published in 2007. The link on the PAS website for the study is http://www.pas.gov.uk/pas/aio/41620. This has examples of various LPAs arrangements for pre-application discussion. The whole issue has been brought into the fore by the economic crisis for development last year when many authorities have had developers pleading for a reassessment of s106 obligations in order to improve the viability of stalled schemes. ATLAS have some interesting guidance on their website on the topic the link for which is http://www.atlasplanning.com/page/topic/index.cfm?coArticleTopic_articleId=63&coSiteNavigation_articleId=63 The recently published draft PPS on development management (published 21 December 2009) talks about how important a proactive approach is to successful development management. For the LPA to do the role of facilitating the delivery of developments that will meet the strategic vion objectives its clear that an open exchange of information of financial viability will be essential. Hope some of this at least will be helpful to you. Phillipa