Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Ouvert | En cours - juillet 2012 | Dernière modification - Aujourd'hui

Restricting 'buy to let' of affordable properties

Former Member, modifié il y a 14 années.

Restricting 'buy to let' of affordable properties

I have received a query from a Councillor regarding the possibility of placing restrictions upon low cost affordable housing in order to prevent it from entering the buy to let market. The concern is that affordable properties are purchased and let and are therefore no longer available for people with an affordable housing need who would like to buy. My research has shown that it is difficult to prevent ‘stair casing’ and ensure the property remains owner occupied and low cost in perpetuity, unless the property is owned by a local authority. Does anyone know whether it is possible to place this type of restriction upon properties and if it is, how this is achieved?
Former Member, modifié il y a 13 années.

Re: Restricting 'buy to let' of affordable properties

My understanding is that when the "deal" is first struck between the public authority and the partner (Housing Association?), that strict criteria are attached to occupancy from the word go - this should not even be a risk or am I being naive? - I have to confess I've not heard of this happening as most of the schemes I am aware of are either rented or part-ownership. Rusty Gurnard Parish Clerk (Isle of Wight)