Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Grŵp agored | Wedi dechrau - Gorffenaf 2012 | Gweithgaredd diwethaf - Heddiw

Waste to energy through anaerobic digestion and biogas

Former Member, Addaswyd 13 Years yn ôl.

Waste to energy through anaerobic digestion and biogas

Hi, I'm with the Anaerobic Digestion and Biogas Association (ADBA). The UK government has committed to a huge increase in waste to energy through anaerobic digestion (AD) - using agricultural, water, retail and domestic waste to convert to gas that can be injected into the national grid. We're interested in hearing from planners and waste managers about their thoughts, expectations and understanding of anaerobic digestion as a way of converting waste to energy. Specifically, what experiences do people have of planning applications for AD plants; community engagement around the process; and the interest/viability of AD for different LAs facing different energy, development and infrastructure challenges. Also, ADBA is hosting the UK's first trade show dedicated solely to AD and biogas on 7-8 July in NEC, Birmingham. There will be free workshops and seminars on planning and permitting; policy updates; building and operating AD plants; procurement; collection of and pre-treatment of “waste” (feedstocks); and training and safety. We hope to see some of you there and build on the knowledge in the local authority sector about anaerobic digestion and biogas.
Former Member, Addaswyd 13 Years yn ôl.

Re: Waste to energy through anaerobic digestion and biogas

I have considerable experience of AD planning applications for managing farm waste primarily, sometimes with imported material (i.e 'waste'). I have 3 times been a speaker at seminars on this topic, and am in close communication with a number of practioners and interested parties. I would be very interested to participate in debate on AD as a way forward for waste management. Kind regards, Debby Klein, MA, MRTPI
Former Member, Addaswyd 7 Years yn ôl.

RE: Waste to energy through anaerobic digestion and biogas

This is an old topic, but I came across it and thought I'd post an update on the subject. London's first commercial-grade AD plant opened in 2014 and has the capacity to process 50,000 tonnes of food waste and biodegradable rubbish. Along with this, since 2014 the local councils have been encouraging businesses to separate their compostale waste from other rubbish, especially accenting food waste. As a waste removal professional, I noticed that this lead to immediate progress and support from the public, however not to the desirable extent. If it were me, I would launch a nation-wide campaign on the benefits of AD, biogas and separating food waste. 

Stan Gabriel, commerial waste collection