Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Ouvert | En cours - juillet 2012 | Dernière modification - Aujourd'hui

Notices of Decision

Former Member, modifié il y a 13 années.

Notices of Decision

We are looking at restructuring our Notices of Decision, and a question has come up about the signature of the Chief Planning Officer (or equivalent) which appears on our NoDs and a few others I have looked at. These days it is a scanned signature, but is it needed by regulation or is it just custom and practice ? Any advice welcome. Thanks

Re: Notices of Decision

Slightly sideways look at your question, have you thought about digitally signing the documents with a digital certificate, and then e-mailing the original to the applicant, and posting it up on the planning web site? (a digitally signed document has the full weight of UK and EU law supporting via the Electronic Communications Act 2000, and associated EU directives) Saves money over postage (in suffcient volumes), and gives a quicker turnaround.

Thanks Ian, but not sure I know what a digital certificate is ? Also I was looking to answer the 'why do we need a signature at all ?' question.

There's nothing in the regulations that requires an actual hand written signature (whether applied by hand or rubber stamp, or scanned). For that matter, it doesn't even need to mention the name or post of the officer authorised by the Council to issue decisions. Also, I know of several councils that now just email the decision notice and acknowledgement letter, saving them time, money and paper, and providing a quicker service for me and my clients.

I am yet to find a reculation or section of an act that requires it to be signed at all. We use a scanned signature. We take the authorititive copy as being the one on the website (we don't have a paper copy) and it appears there within 1 minute of the decision being made. I remember the need to sign a planning application was abandoned under some obscure e-compliance act (on-line submissions) but am yet to be convinced that a signature is needed at all... It takes alot for a chief planner to say my signature is not required 8¬)
Former Member, modifié il y a 11 années.

Although this has been a long time in gestation, our view is that there is no requirement for a signature, so thats the way we intend to go. But what about Building Regs Notices of Decison and Completion Notices ? Any thoughts