Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Ouvert | En cours - juillet 2012 | Dernière modification - Aujourd'hui

Flood Risk Vulnerability Classifications

Tim Dawson, modifié il y a 13 années.

Flood Risk Vulnerability Classifications

New Member Publications: 15 Date d'inscription: 20/10/11 Publications Récentes
Table D2 in PPS25 does not specifically reference renewable energy installations. The Practice Guide states: '4.64 Where a land use is not specifically referred to in table D.2, it should be allocated to the most appropriate vulnerability classification based on comparison with the characteristics of other uses in the table, informed by consideration of the risks from flooding.' In light of this, how have other LPAs classified renewable energy installations? I'm not convinced it constitutes 'essential infrastructure', but am uncertain how far up the hierarchy it should be placed. Any suggestions?
Former Member, modifié il y a 13 années.

Re: Flood Risk Vulnerability Classifications

I don't think a renewable energy installation would be 'essential infrastructure' either - the key word in PPS25 is 'strategic', and I don't see this applying to any land-based installations because they are not big in terms of power generation (off-shore wind farms probably are strategic, but flooding isn't an issue for them!). I think it's safe to assume that an installation ancillary to another use should be classed with that use (eg. a freestanding CHP building serving a hospital would be 'more vulnerable'). Installation completely Ultimately, since renewable energy installations are not listed it's perhaps a case of checking with the Environment Agency in each case, which perhaps suggests that PPG25 needs updating to provide clarity. To be clear, whilst an LPA may have an opinion on which classification is correct, the view of the EA is likely to be given more weight.