Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Ouvert | En cours - juillet 2012 | Dernière modification - May

Solar Panels on the roofs of agricultural buildings

Former Member, modifié il y a 13 années.

Solar Panels on the roofs of agricultural buildings

I have been asked whether the installation of solar panels on the roofs of farm buildings is permitted development by virtue of Schedule 2, Part 6, Class A and Class B as the solar panels would not alter the building but be a fixture- they would be used to provide heat or power or both to the agricultural unit. My initial view is that currently PD only exists for domestic buildings, and that although the Government issued a consultation paper last year entitled 'Permitted development rights for small scale renewable and low carbon energy technologies, etc' this has yet to be adopted. However I would welcome views on whether the view could be taken that the solar panels constitute an alteration to a building and therefore that they enjoy Part 6 rights provided the power generated is used on the farm and the external appearance of the building is not materially affected. Presumably if this view was taken, on units of 5 hectares or more, prior approval would be required and other conditions would apply.

Re: Solar Panels on the roofs of agricultural buildings

If the panels produce power for the agricultural unit not the dwellingas you state it could be argued that they are reasonably required and subject to compliance with the appropriate criteria in part 6 would be permitted development.

Re: Solar Panels on the roofs of agricultural buildings

Thanks Martin...it's all a matter of 'fact and degree'!!!!!