Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Equalities Impact Assessment and Planning Applications

Former Member, modified 12 Years ago.

Equalities Impact Assessment and Planning Applications

Do any other authorities have any formal protocols / policies / thresholds for determining whether Equalities Impact Assessments are needed for Planning Applications? Obviously, mainly only required for larger, possibly 'major' applications, but at what point do you draw the line? Or is it purely a matter of 'fact and degree'? I'm aware of the recent R (Harris) v London Borough of Haringey case. Any good practice ideas appreciated.

Re: Equalities Impact Assessment and Planning Applications

Hi Rob, I would consider that a good Design and Access Statement which included a level of consultation with local communities as original envisaged by CLG (but not CABE!) would cover many of the issues. It would be a useful strategy if planning departments insisted on evidence of consultation before accepting these DASs. In Manchester, there used to be a lot more consultation, but since cuts and reorganisation and for other reasons, this hasn't happened as much, except for major projects managed by the City Council. MCC consult with our group, Manchester Disabled People's Access Group and the Women's Design Group, which has produced some gender guidelines for planning. Where it takes place in a regeneration area, there used to be local consultations also, but not sure with cuts recently, how this will be managed, although there are still regeneration framework structures in placebut lots of staff have taken early retirement or been redeployed. The problem with Design and Access Statements is that most planners don't expect them to cover some of key issues particularly around gender, disability and age, including issues for visually and hearing impaired people. The recent requirements for sustainability are also difficult as the issues aren't discussed in relation to accessibility and other issues. My ideal consultation framework would include a range of local organisations that would receive information pre-planning if possible, funded by the developers, that woudl include equality and diversity and environmental groups and local groups where appropriate. A consultation meeting with developers and architects would be useful, funded by the developers, that would include the provision of plans, travel costs for consultees and where possible some consultation payments! This is so that local groups can cover the costs of support for disabled people where necessary and as they usually provide useful suggestions, should get some consultation fees, which would help to keep them alive also. Our group is fairly pro-active so tries to keep up with major developments but it will be more difficult for smaller groups. I would also be interested in knowing how other authorities are dealing with this issue in the current econcomic climate. Thanks for the information about the court case! Flick, MDPAG

Re: Equalities Impact Assessment and Planning Applications

Hi Rob, I posted a similar question a couple of months ago and got a very limited response. As a consequence I was considering producing our own document as time allows. If you do come across any best practice I would be interested to know more. Regards karl