Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Fees / Classification of Building Type

Former Member, modified 11 Years ago.

Fees / Classification of Building Type

I would be grateful for advice on the interpretation of fees regulations for the following case-has anyone dealt with something similar? A large steel framed structure to house a gantry crane for loading trains. The structure is 120mX30m and 13m to the ridge.It is fully covered with a clad roof the cladding returning down the sides and ends by approx 3m leaving the majority open.The entire floor is to be tarmac under the roofed area. 2 railway lines will run through the structure and the purpose of it is to allow large section of prefabricated railway line/switch gear etc to be loaded onto trains for distribution around the country. The structure is designed to support and house a very large gantry crane system which will slide up and down the structure for loading trains.The structure certainly looks like a very large building.... Our calculation is that it is a building creating floorspace akin to a dutch barn and should be charged under Category 2 ie £335 per 75m2 The applicant prefers a calculation as plant and machinery -Category 5 Any views welcomed

Re: Fees / Classification of Building Type

Graeme I'm not sure it's much help but, section 336 of the 1990 Act states: “building” includes any structure or erection, and any part of a building, as so defined, but does not include plant or machinery comprised in a building; My view, for what it's worth, is that whilst the gantry crane system is plant/machinery, the roof and (albeit incomplete) walls comprise a building that creates floorspace. Based upon the information provided, your classification seems the more suitable of the two options. Others may hold a different view..... Kind regards David

If the applicant were to go down the route of their logic, a car manufacturing plant would also be plant and machinery where as it is clearly a factory. Surely this is also a factory, manufacturing switch gear for the railway industry. Stick with it

Graeme's post makes no mention of manufacturing being carried out in the structure. If it will only lift rails/ switchgear for loading onto trains for transportation to where they will be used then it is just a big crane. I would therefore say that it is indeed plant/machinery.