Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Has anyone a dusty copy of PPG7 (the 1988 version) in their files?

Former Member, modified 11 Years ago.

Has anyone a dusty copy of PPG7 (the 1988 version) in their files?

Hi, I'm looking at the history of PPG7 and I have managed to find electronic or paper copies of all the various versions including 1992 ... EXCEPT ... for the very original 1988 version. This is the version that many planning text books refer to - but I cannot find a copy anywhere. The HMSO (TSO) archives only go back as far as 1989 so no joy there. I wonder if there is a Planning Department out there which has a cobweb filled backroom full of paper copies of old legislation where a copy of PPG7 (1988) might be lurking? If so, please could I borrow it to make a photocopy? Many thanks! Richard

Re: Has anyone a dusty copy of PPG7 (the 1988 version) in their files?

Richard - I'm not sure whether they would allow access, but have you tried any of the University libraries? Kent appears to have a copy. https://catalogue.pilot.kent.ac.uk/Record/357395 (if all else fails you could pay HMSO a fee to copy the document that they no longer hold and agree with Kent or another to do so - I'm sure this would be fraught with difficulties, so only as a last resort) Kind regards David

Many thanks for that David! I have emailed Kent - will keep you posted. General question : how did you find that data? I thought that I had reasonable search engine skills but I seem to have been outclassed this time! Richard

I searched "Development Control Policy Notes" (including the quotes). This throws up a few university library catalogues, including Kent's. I then used the search facility on their webpage to find planning policy guidance 7. http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=%22Development+Control+Policy+Notes%22&oq=%22Development+Control+Policy+Notes%22&gs_l=hp.3..0i30.27864.28902.3.29073.3.3.0.0.0.0.137.321.1j2.3.0...0.0...1c.lsZrX9d_3zo&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=90fe06c707c49d57&biw=1280&bih=852 You may also want to try LSE who have a copy of what is allegedly the 1989 edition of PPG7 https://catalogue.lse.ac.uk/Record/322619 Good luck with your search. Kind regards David

Richard - I can send you an original which I have just found in our archive (two copies in fact!). Get in touch: oliver.fytche-taylor@west-lindsey.gov.uk Oliver

Wow! Email on its way!

Hi Oliver, Document received - very many thanks for that. It certainly is brief - just four pages! However this original PPG7 is very clearly written and to the point. The 1992 version then grows to some 30 or so pages. The general tone of this document is much more 'controlling' than the 1998 version. This is the version where the discriminatory comment about retired farmers first appears. The 1997 version grew further to around 55 pages. (There is a hint of a 2001 version too, but I can't find a copy.) PPS7 then replaced PPG7 in 2004. (PPS7 refers to the 1997 PPG7 with no mention of a 2001 version). This new document reverses the damage and drops back to 27 pages. I think that there was ever only one version of PPS7 ... or was there? If only all legislation was kept as brief & lucid as the 1988 version of PPG7!