Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

LPAs attitude to rural 'gentrification'?

Former Member, modified 11 Years ago.

LPAs attitude to rural 'gentrification'?

In England since WW2 a process of rural 'gentrification' has been taking place. This results in rural areas become predominantly bastions of elderly white middle class influence where change is despised. The perceived importance of agriculture is also reduced. The process is driven by a complex interaction between policies, politics and money. I was wondering if this process is discussed - or even understood - by LPAs. If so, do they regard it as a good thing .. or do some LPAs strive to prevent rural areas becoming dormitories for retired middle class ex-town dwellers?

Re: LPAs attitude to rural 'gentrification'?

Yes the process is definitely discussed and I think well understood in most rural planning authorities. The factors that drive the process exist largely outside the domain of planning, with its limited ability to control second-home ownership, internal migration, etc. However the national 'exceptions' site policy is clearly intended to address the issue of the original rural inhabitants and their children being priced out the market.

Re: LPAs attitude to rural 'gentrification'?

Thanks for that Roger. It's interesting how the effect doesn't exist in some countries whilst in other such as the USA the process sucks in parallel developments such as art galleries, country sports shops, fancy bars etc. In the UK the well-off middle classes have seized the countryside - but we don't seem to be able to keep local pubs, shops and Post Offices open I suppose that this must be a sad reflection of some aspect of the British personality ... or does anyone here feel that a different approach to rural planning policy/decisions could brighten that sad picture?