Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Setting Affordable Housing % targets and CIL rates. How?

Former Member, modified 11 Years ago.

Setting Affordable Housing % targets and CIL rates. How?

On the basis that my policy (Local Plan) comes prior to setting my CIL, I'm struggling with setting the Affordable Housing % targets because of the subsequent impact on CIL. If I set AH % at a level which helps to meet AH need yet remains 'viable', it will mean there is virtually nothing left in the profit pot for me to set a CIL (because setting a CIL will have to take account of what the AH % policy is). Should I (could I?) knowingly set a lower AH % target on the basis that I know this will enable me to set at least a reasonable CIL later? Basically, I want to deliver AH but I also want to set a reasonable CIL...but it appears which ever one you set first will impact on the other. Anyone else have this conundrum...or a solution?!
Former Member, modified 11 Years ago.

Re: Setting Affordable Housing % targets and CIL rates. How?

I think the solution is to do the viability evidence base work now for both affordable housing and CIL together, as you seem pretty certain your authority will be introducing a CIL eventually. My understanding of all the guidance is that you should be looking to understand viability in the round during the plan making process and consider all the potential costs developers will incur, when setting either an affordable housing policy or a CIL rate.