Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Building for Life 12

Former Member, modified 11 Years ago.

Building for Life 12

We have recently adopted an SPD relating to new residential development based on the Building for Life 20 questions. Obviously the Council now intends to review this document in light of the review of BfL. Has anyone else encountered this issue and if so what way do you propose to deal with it.

Re: Building for Life 12

Hi Audrey, Apologies if you have already seen this, but just in case you haven't Design Council CABE have a page of FAQs about BfL12 on their website: http://www.designcouncil.org.uk/our-work/CABE/Sectors/Housing/Building-for-Life/ The following section relates to BfL12 and Planning policy: http://www.designcouncil.org.uk/our-work/CABE/Sectors/Housing/Building-for-Life/

Hi Andy, Thanks I have seen the above pages. I wanted to know if any one else is reviewing their policies in light of the changes to BfL 12 and how they were going to deal with the policies relaing to the questions which have been deleted.

I suspect most LPA's will muddle through with a policy as it stands given the resources that have to go into adopting any new policy these days. To avoid abmiguity the simple thing to do is formally acknowledge the change to BfL12 in a short statement that can be posted on a suitable webpage. And, to be clear, I don't see that a refusal could be substantiated at appeal if it relied on a very specific aspect of a BfL policy that has been made redundant/superseded by BfL12. A lesson from this is that local policies should avoid relying on specific elements of guidance that could be revoked or amended at any time, or at least acknowledge that the implementation of the policy might need to change if the guidance it relies on is revoked or amended.