Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Planning Applications: Statutory Press Notices

Former Member, modified 11 Years ago.

I suspect we all know that this statutory requirement comes with a significant cost. Has anyone looked into placing generic notices which direct the public to the formal notices on their Council's own website rather than listing the individual applications? What this would do would be to reduce the size (and cost) of the press notice. This would however not actually be publicising the notice of the application in the newspaper Any advice as to whether anyone has looked into this or similar would be appreciated
Former Member, modified 11 Years ago.

Re: Planning Applications: Statutory Press Notices

The form that the notice must take is prescribed by the DMPO 2010 and appears in Schedule 3. There is therefore no (legal) scope for doing as you suggest. In Hampshire, the County Council has recently started to publish a free newspaper in which all authorities in Hampshire can publish statutory notices at greatly reduced cost. The paper also contains paid for commercial adverts and editorial content. Perhaps other county councils could consider doing the same.
Former Member, modified 10 Years ago.

A late follow up to this, but I am sure that I have heard of some LPAs who have started to cut costs by minimising the text printed in the paper and to only place press notices fortnightly.  If any one has done this, it would be good to know.  Thanks

Former Member, modified 10 Years ago.

Bryan

This requirement remains one of my biggest bugbears. We stll advertise weekly as we don't want to unecessarily extend the consultation process in any way

We have played around with reducing the size - this is a link our current ad

https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/media/7263203/hereford_times_031013.pdf

When printed it is quite small but I cannot go any smaller without issuing magnifying glasses with the newspaper!!

thumbnail
John Theobald, modified 6 Years ago.

RE: Planning Applications: Statutory Press Notices

Enthusiast Posts: 61 Join Date: 19/10/11 Recent Posts
Has anyone done any research on who actually looks at the weekly planning applications press notice in the local paper these days?  I’m sure virtually everyone now finds out about planning applications in their area from registered email alerts, web searches, site notices and the usual notification letters to neighbours.  The press adverts cost in the region of £40k for us pa, which could be better spent elsewhere.  Many thanks, John
nicholas waring, modified 6 Years ago.

Enthusiast Posts: 29 Join Date: 21/01/12 Recent Posts

It's a while since I studied the wording of the statute.

What is the planning purpose of the press notice?

What is the purpose of the local press these days?

How will the local press survive without the £40k fee?

Do you wish to cut the £40k or spend it more effectively on eg a design/conservation officer?

thumbnail
John Theobald, modified 6 Years ago.

Minimum statutory publicity requirements for planning and heritage applications are Site notice, Site notice or neighbour notification letter, Newspaper advertisement and Website.  A combination of which ones depends on type of development, however Newspaper advertisement is required for most applications in our area even if advertised on the internet.  Does anyone rely on the statutory notices in newspapers to learn about planning applications in their area these days? Maybe back in 2009, but not today.  There should be a review by Government of publicity requirements for planning applications.

thumbnail
John Theobald, modified 5 Months ago.

Hi,

We have very recently been told by our local paper that they will be increasing the font size of their press adverts because they say they aren't legible at the current font size we generally use with them. We are obviosly tied by legislation to advertise certain applications in the local newspaper. This could increase our already several K pa spend on weekly or fortnightly press adverts. We have wittled the press advert down to the essential applications that have to be listed in the newspaper, however being an area of many listed buildings and conservations areas the list is still typically approx 50 at a time. Has anyone any suggestions to manage increases in local press advertising charges? As we know, legislation will not change on local press advertsing any time soon! Many thanks. Best regards, John