Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

How do LPAs & Inspectors react to 'signals' from central govt, 3rd party re

Former Member, modified 11 Years ago.

How do LPAs & Inspectors react to 'signals' from central govt, 3rd party re

There are plenty of reports, reviews etc out there. For example the "Living Working Countryside - The Taylor Review of Rural Economy and Affordable Housing" or the recent Downing Street gathering supporting self-build homes. In the real world of planning decisions do these 'signals', 'conclusions', 'desires', 'initiatives' have any effect or validity with regards to planning applications either at LPA level or at Appeal? For example, could a self-build applicant validly refer to Grant Shapps statement (below) from June 2012 as meaningful support for their application? "Over the next few years, I want to see the industry double in size, so more and more people get to make their self-build dreams a reality." We can of course extend these theme to the huge 'push we are now seeing from central government for more housing. Does this groundswell of opinion/comment etc from central government have any REAL validity in the planning decision process? If not, it raises the question of whether local planning departments and processes would be acting undemocratically if they were to use the small print in Local Plans to override the wishes of central government - especially in cases where the LPA had sufficient legal flexibility to 'push' a planning decision in the direction that our elected central government would deem desirable. The stance of any appeal Inspector in such cases would be interesting.
Former Member, modified 11 Years ago.

Re: How do LPAs & Inspectors react to 'signals' from central govt, 3rd par

All I can say, from sad experience, is that little regard seems to be given to statements such as by planning ministers and that the imperative of reviving the economy by reasonably allowing projects to proceed to create much need housing and much need jobs is an alien concept, seemingly in some LPA's I have walked along a corridor in the Town Hall, from housing department desperate for flats to rent out to homeless or poorly housed people to the planning department who simply raise obstacles to this process - I wonder if "elected" councillors really know what is going on. Lets us hope some sense prevails although I doubt it. Ken McArdle