Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Use of Conditions to Secure Financial Contributions

Former Member, modified 11 Years ago.

Use of Conditions to Secure Financial Contributions

We have recently been asked by an agent to use a condition to secure a financial contribution in lieu of providing affordable housing in stead of S106. I have seen conditions used for on site provision of affordable housing but has anyone used them where a financial contribution is required? My view has been stick to an obligation but I defer to the default position that we should use conditions where we can. I would welcome anyones experiences,

Re: Use of Conditions to Secure Financial Contributions

Whilst I'll leave it to you to review wherever it has been superseded by NPPF, CLG's Planning Obligations: Planning Guidance (July 2006) states: Clarifying the role of conditions and obligations 4.16 Both Circulars 11/95 on the use of conditions and Circular 5/05 on obligations set out that permission cannot be granted subject to a condition that the developer enters into a planning obligation. Some LPAs have used negatively worded (“Grampian”) planning conditions stating that development may not commence until certain provisions have been made, for which a planning obligation will be necessary. LPAs intending to adopt this approach will need to be very careful to ensure that any condition imposed is in line with the tests for conditions set out in Circular 11/95, in particular that it is sufficiently precise. LPAs may wish to seek further legal guidance on this point. At Worcester we always use a S106. From a practical perspective if an applicant wishes to challenge a S106 it can be based on merits of the case whereas a challenge on a condition may be based exclusively on whether it is ultra vires.

Re: Use of Conditions to Secure Financial Contributions

The guidance in 11/95 is clear that a condtion cannot be used to secure or request a financial contribution