Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Viability assessments accompanying planning applications

Former Member, modified 11 Years ago.

Viability assessments accompanying planning applications

Hello all What is your approach to sharing viability assessments which accompany an application (or pre-application) with councillors? It seems to me that it is only reasonable (in fact important) to share crucial information which goes to the heart of one of the basis for making a decision. How can decision makers be expected to make an informed decision if this information is withheld? Some councillors may be happy to take officers advice, but others want to understand it for themselves and be able to probe assumptions and ask questions. Sharing info with councillors isn't putting commercially sensitive information in the public domain. I've been asked about other approaches by a councillor who has been refused this information by officers. What is your approach? Does it differ between applications and pre app enquiries?
Former Member, modified 11 Years ago.

Re: Viability assessments accompanying planning applications

Alice Wherever I have worked we have always taken the view that the applicant is sharing commercially sensitive information with the Council. Therefore whether this be pre-app or during the application process we would not divulge this information except to the person doing the assessment be that an in house officer or an external consultant. They would then produce a report outlining the finding of their asessment and this is what would be used to determine the viability of the scheme. The report itself would be in the public domain but not the info provided by the applicant.