Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Economic Impact assessment of developments

Former Member, modified 11 Years ago.

Economic Impact assessment of developments

Colleagues in our Authority have developed an ‘economic impact assessment’ tool, which by entering information about a development proposal, comes up with estimates of the likely construction jobs the development will create, and also an estimate of jobs/economic impact of the development once operational. This will not be used in relation to the viability of projects, but merely to give an indication of the economic impacts of a development, in line with paras 18-20 of the NPPF. Has any other Authority used such a tool? If so, or if not, what benefits/drawbacks have been noted? We would intend to state the ‘results’ in delegated and Committee reports on proposals, in order to inform the decision process. Has anyone any experiences of such that they’d be prepared to share? I’m comfortable that the results can be a material consideration, but again if anyone has any thoughts they would be gratefully received.
thumbnail
Gordon Smith, modified 11 Years ago.

Re: Economic Impact assessment of developments

New Member Posts: 14 Join Date: 19/10/11 Recent Posts
I also would be interested as (for an east Midlands Authority) i have been tustling with a s106 - how to influence future occupiers with a commitment to higher quality employment training. So much of the advice and practice relates to construction jobs (and modern commercial fast track construction does not have a place for slow moving Council training schemes or unreliable local HE colleges). Jon Sutciffe is dealing with projected jobs; I am looking to the implementation of the (sometimes loose) promises made in the theoretical tools.
Former Member, modified 11 Years ago.

Re: Economic Impact assessment of developments

Hi Jon, A few questions: - Was no third-party tool available? - Will an in-house tool have the quality and depth of a third-party tool? - Will an in-house tool have the 'stamp of independence' that a third-party tool will offer? - You state that the tool results will NOT be used as part of viability assessments... but will merely give an 'indication'. Surely the results WILL have an influence on decisions - otherwise why would you give the results to decision makers? - Will applicants be informed of the use of this tool? If so, how will you respond to queries/doubts relating to the tool's calibration / certification / knowledge base etc? - Will this tool be released for general LPA use? It would seem wasteful for each LPA to develop their own software. I can envisage grumpy applicants/agents having a field day following a refusal which they feel that they can blame on the LPA's use of a DIY software tool!