Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

Use Class Order 2012 / 2013 Difference between B1 and B2

Former Member, modified 10 Years ago.

The previous UCO contained a B1c use for light industry but this has now gone and the new OCO just refers to B1 Any industrial process. B2 now refers to General Industrial - the carrying out of an industrial process other than one falling within class B1. This is confusing for me. Does anyone have experience of implementing B1 and B2 for industrial processes? I particularly have in mind waste recycling / treatment facilities such as anaerobic digestion / high value recycling facilities / material reclamation facilities. Comments irrespective of the waste uses I mention are most welcome. Thank you.
thumbnail
Chris Nash, modified 10 Years ago.

Re: Use Class Order 2012 / 2013 Difference between B1 and B2

Enthusiast Posts: 38 Join Date: 11/08/13 Recent Posts
Hi Les - not sure where you're getting this from?
Eben van der Westhuizen, modified 10 Years ago.

Re: Use Class Order 2012 / 2013 Difference between B1 and B2

New Member Posts: 5 Join Date: 21/01/12 Recent Posts
The B1c use for light industry appears to still be in place. What is “the new OCO” that you are referring to? Regarding appropriate use classes for waste operations, the planning dictum of each case on it own merits applies here too. Waste operations usually are either sui generis or B2/B1c (the difference between the two of course essentially being impact on residential amenity) or in very few instances B8. In a nutshell: a waste facilities may be B2 if the primary function falls within any of the “industrial process” activities listed in Article 2 (b) of the UCO “(b) the altering, repairing, maintaining, ornamenting, finishing, cleaning, washing, packing, canning, adapting for sale, breaking up or demolition of any article; or” The tricky ones are when the primarily activity consists only of sorting of waste (no processing) for treatment elsewhere – they are usually sui generis. Also note that Article 3(6)(g) of the UCO states that “No class specified in the Schedule includes use as a scrapyard, or a yard for the storage or distribution of minerals or the breaking of motor vehicles,”. From your description above, Article 3(6)(j) would not be relevant.
Former Member, modified 10 Years ago.

I will be out of the office starting 12/08/2013 and will not return until 27/08/2013. If your matter needs to be dealt with straight away please telephone Paul Sanderson 020 8541 9949 or David Maxwell 020 8541 9379 or the contact centre on 03456 009009. Otherwise I will contact you on my return to the office. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * This email and any attachments with it are intended for the addressee only. It may be confidential and may be the subject of legal and/or professional privilege. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender or postmaster@surreycc.gov.uk The content may be personal or contain personal opinions and cannot be taken as an expression of the County Council's position. Surrey County Council reserves the right to monitor all incoming and outgoing mail. Whilst every care has been taken to check this e-mail for viruses, it is your responsibility to carry out any checks upon receipt. Visit the Surrey County Council website - http://www.surreycc.gov.uk * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *