Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

PD Extensions after PP

Former Member, modified 10 Years ago.

PD Extensions after PP

LPA has a very strict policy in relation to size of extensions in the Green Belt. (50% of floor area) Client proposes 100% because existing cottages are tiny. LPA says no! I believe they can get 80 % if they apply for a reduced 2 storey side extension to the LPA and then after it is built build the rest as PD ( small single storey rear extension of 3m - and detached garages to the rear) I can find nothing that says you cannot do works under PD (deemed PP) after the property has had an extension under extant PP- subject to the other criteria regarding 50% of curtilage and not nearer road etc etc Anyone disagree?

Re: PD Extensions after PP

Ah, the nonsense of PD in the Green Belt. You are right in your interpretation; just make sure that no part of the PD extension would physically connect to any part of the extension permitted by the LPA. Also be aware that in granting planning permission for the side extension the LPA could remove PD rights if it considers it is reasonable and necessary to do so. But really the LPA should be taking this fallback argument into account in assessing whether to grant planning permission.

Re: PD Extensions after PP

Thank you John.....yes this LPA is not the most accommodating. i don`t think they have read the NPPF nor do they take better design into account......rules are rules!