Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

Metal sheeting on empty shops

Former Member, modified 10 Years ago.

Metal sheeting on empty shops

Hi All, I have an enforcement case at the moment where the Councillor is keen for us to enforce on the metal sheeting they use over windows to secure shops when they are empty. We have already agreed the site is not worthy of a s215 notice but does anyone know if there is any permitted development rights for this sheeting and if not has anyone enforced on these before? Many Thanks
Ian McDonald, modified 10 Years ago.

Re: Metal sheeting on empty shops

Enthusiast Posts: 70 Join Date: 15/05/12 Recent Posts
Have you seen the BBC article on 'fake shops'? I visited Belfast a few weeks ago and was impressed with the new fake shops which I think made the area look 'tidy'. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-22819331 (sorry this is not answering your query!)

Before asking whether it might be "permitted development" ask whether it is "development" in the first place ... i.e. is it a building, engineering, mining or other operation. If not, you wouldn't be in a position to enforce as there would be no breach of planning control.

We had a look at this in Chester some years ago when a pub was boarded up in this fashion, as so many now are. The opinion at that time was there was no breach of planning control. If it attracts graffiti there are powers to remove it but other than that I think that you just looking at a symbol of the decline of cities and some uses in particular. Get someone to apply to convert the building into something else by showing them the new p.d. rights.

Thanks all. I had suggested to my Senior Officer that you could argue the sheeting was not development but as it creates a material change he did not buy it. Leslie-did you find there was no breach because it was not development? It's plainly obvious that the developer is going to turn the upper B1 floors into resi but the councillors want a quick fix to make the front appear better so Ian's idea may well be something I suggest to the management company. I think as it is such a wealthy area with a very vibrant high street the Councillors are just very frustrated to see it empty and looking to planning enforcement as a way of being seen as 'doing something'