Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Terracing effect opinions

Former Member, modified 10 Years ago.

Terracing effect opinions

Opinions on this matter would be greatly received having just come across this forum, I am finding it very valuable! A row of 4 semi detached homes, 3 of these have 2 storey side extensions. The house in question is number 3 - second from the left and link detached by a garage to the other house second from the right. Number 3 is slightly higher than the property it is link detached too. None of the 3 other properties are subservient and the ridge line is the exact same to the existing dwellings. Number 3 have applied for a 2 storey extension to the side leaving a 200mm gap to the existing link detached property, to remove the link and show a clear visual definition between homes. They have also made the extension subservient and lowered their ridge line to make it more in keeping with the lower neighbours. In your opinions does this sound reasonable or reason to reject? I do hope I have been clear enough. Many Thanks
Former Member, modified 10 Years ago.

Re: Terracing effect opinions

It very much depends on when the previous extensions were approved. In my mind they do not set a precedent if undertaken under a previous policy. In approving this last house's extension may set an unwelcome precedent on that road for other properties. Many of the Local Authorities I work with have minimum distances they would accept and 200mm is way lower than those I have experienced. If the proposed extension roof has a hip then the gutter overhang will eat into most of this space and still create a terracing effect in my opinion. Even with a side gable the barge board overhang would impose into this space. The subserviency helps but I think it all hinges on when the neighbouring dwellings' extensions were approved. You haven't given information about the Local Authority's house extension guidelines which would enable a more robust response. For reference I am a Planning Agent and not a Planning Officer.