Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Five Year Land Supply queries

Former Member, modified 10 Years ago.

Five Year Land Supply queries

Hi everyone, I'm working on an application in an LPA that has recently published a 5yls update. They are claiming a 5yls, however this includes: - 'deliverable' allocated sites in their draft LP. The LP does not yet have a date for EIP although it looks likely to happen this autumn. - a 4% lapse rate. - 4 years worth of windfall allowance. To my mind: - they should not yet be including allocated LP sites, given the plan is not certain to be found sound, nor should they decide which are 'deliverable'- it's guess work at this point. - since the majority of LPA's are using a 10% lapse rate and they do not seem to have provided any evidence that proves a historic lapse rate of 4%, this is unreasonable - using 4 years of windfall will result in double counting, especially in year 2 (maybe even in year 3) It seems to me they know they are short and are doing everything possible to bump up their 5yls. Understandable but to my mind disingenuous. I would love to hear people's thoughts on this. Many thanks

Re: Five Year Land Supply queries

It is all in the attached document. If they do not comply then it is unlikely that the Local Plan will be declared sound. You also need to look up the committee reports for the Local Plan to see what has been accepted as the stage in the process gives weight to the report. Les

A little caution: that guide is old enough that it should not be relied on. I think I heard somewhere that new guidance on SHLAA and SHMAA may be part of the Taylor review outputs we're expecting shortly. You may also find our "own your housing numbers" guide for councils helpful - it's here : http://www.pas.gov.uk/pas/core/page.do?pageId=3766455

I've heard it suggested that the Taylor review will include something like the Sedgefield or Liverpool methodologies (reported in Planning magazine a few weeks back) that add previous years' undersupply on top of the 5 or 20% . If so, I hope we will see a debate on whether we can still claim to have a plan-led system.

And I'm not at Reigate & Banstead but at Hambleton, still waiting for my PAS profile to update 8 months on.

Hi Mark, I will look into this for you today.