Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

Traffic Lights for Planning Committee

Former Member, modified 10 Years ago.

Does anyone use any kind of traffic light system to control the amount of time speakers have to talk at Planning Committees? If so, which supplier do you use and what is your experience of using that system? If not, do you have another way (other than verbally) of keeping everyone to time? Thanks, Michelle

Re: Traffic Lights for Planning Committee

I had always thought that a trap-door that automatically opened beneath the speaker at the end of the allotted time would be a good idea!

Or even before they start speaking... I know that Cheshire West and Chester uses a traffic light system, so you could try contacting their Democratic Services team.

Great, thanks.

We (at Hambleton - my profile may not have updated yet) have a home-made system that is beginning to look a bit Heath Robinson-esque. I'm not aware of any body offering ready made systems but if anybody knows of a supplier or comes across one, I'd like to know.

Try using one of the many online count down tools - we use one displayed on a tablet, it goes from green, through amber to red as the time ticks down and works well. I can find out which one we use if you like. Less work than installing a trap door, although perhaps less entertaining...

Here is the web site that we use... http://www.ratespeeches.com/st=Speech-Timer

We use such a system at East Sussex County Council which works well but we also have strong Chairmanship to 'enforce' it.

The problem with the light system is that the average member of public tends to be nervous or inexperienced at public speaking and so forgets about the lights which can result in them being 'cut off' in the interests of fairness.

I'll find out whether it's an in-house system or not.  

leigh palmer, modified 10 Years ago.

New Member Posts: 2 Join Date: 12/08/13 Recent Posts

Michelle

we at Eastbourne have a traffic light system.  Please contact Katie Armstrong Cttee Services to establish product details and photos etc

Katie.Armstrong@eastbourne.gov.uk

Many thanks