Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Camping pods with services

Former Member, modified 10 Years ago.

Camping pods with services

Hello, Very new to all this and was looking for some advice. We are looking to place 4 pod cabins in woodland on our land. Access to them would be via our driveway and onto a newly laid track to the woodland. Next to each pod would have a separate wet room or a single larger showers and toilets cabin which would need mains electricity and water connecting. Two things, would we be able to run the water/elec off our own house/barns and am i right in thinking planning would need to be sort for the project? We are located in the Lake District National Park. Any lastly, if planing is only needed for the services and laying of track etc i take it that planning would not be needed for the actual pods? Many thanks

Re: Camping pods with services

James. This is about as simple as solving the eurozone monetry crisis. It all depends on ` fact and degree`. The question as to whether planning permission is required for operational development for the structures depends on their permanency and the level of physical requirements for them . As a ruleof thumb I would suggest that if the pods are there permanently, even if not used in winter, they would be considerd operational development and the services and and track would definately be. Even if they weren`t considered to be operational development there may well be a change of use of the land to a ` campsite`` though that is difficult to ascertain from the information you have given. I have just gained permission for 8 pods for a client at an outward bound centre in Lancashire as part of wider improvements and deveopment of a commercial `rural` business. If the National Park has policies geared to promoting tourism and I guess it does, then you would be best applying for permission for all the development proposed.

Re: Camping pods with services

James. I'm pretty certain that the LDNPA regard camping pods as a 'use of land' as opposed to 'operational development'. It may well therefore be the case that if you do not have an existing caravan site/camp site you would have to apply for the change of use of your land, along with the associated operational development (the tracks and services). Why not just ring them up and ask, they are a really nice bunch (I used to work there!). Regards. Mike