Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Extensions to planning application time limits

peter Ford, modified 10 Years ago.

New Member Posts: 4 Join Date: 20/10/11 Recent Posts

I found the PAS Q and A on extending major  planning application times very helpful.  However one point that still confuses me is when a letter is relevant to extend the time of an application.  It is obviously good practice to complete this before the 13 weeks has elapsed, but my reading of the PAS advice is that if it is not within the 13 weeks it should still be in the same quarter.  Therefore if we wait until after the relevant quarter then the extension will not be valid.  Am I interpreting this correctly?

Former Member, modified 10 Years ago.

Hi Peter,

Essentially there is no prescription about when the extension of time agreement has to be made.  You are right to pick up on the desirability of having the agreement made before the 13 or 16 week date, but that agreements could be made after that ( presumably in unusual circumstances).  The PS1/2 returns for the quarter will ask you to record agreed extensions of time and numbers of applications  determined within either the statutory or other agreed date. If the agreement to extend comes in another quarter it will appear that the target has been missed in the quarter.  

I feel that we are still finding our way around this new system - so if others have a view on this, please contribute to the discussion.