Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Annexes and immunity period for use as a dwellinghouse

thumbnail
Chris Nash, modified 10 Years ago.

Enthusiast Posts: 38 Join Date: 11/08/13 Recent Posts

Something to get the brain cells tingling:

• Permission is granted for an annexe building, subject to the usual condition limiting it as ancillary accommodation, and is built out and used as such.
  • Occupants then at a later date use the annexe as an independent dwellinghouse.

My question is whether a 4 or 10 year immunity rule applies. On one hand you have the argument that it’s a 10 year breach of condition; on the other hand the 4 year creation of a residential dwellinghouse. The latter sits uncomfortably with Section 171B(2) in that it does not consist of a change of use (i.e. it is C3 before the switch to independent living, but just limited by condition); such that it would fall to be assessed under Section 171B(3). However I do recall case law ruling that the creation of an independent dwellinghouse under C3 invokes a new planning unit and a change of use (and this would align with the need for planning permission where a house is subdivided into two).

> Can anyone clarify for me please, and point me to the case law (if indeed it does exist)?

Many thanks in advance

Former Member, modified 10 Years ago.

The latest case law is Welwyn Hatfield V Beesley, The barn that was a house.

If the planning permission was subject to the usual occupancy condition so long as you are satisfied that there is sufficient evidence to establish a breach of the condition  I consider this is the option you should use as unlike an enforcement notice there is no right of appeal against a breach of condition notice, there are no arguments about the planning merits the only arguments relate to is was the condition breached and was the condition correctly imposed.

See the (lengthy) comentary to s.171B in the Planning Encyclopedia which discusses this point. The relevant case law is the Court of Appeal decision in SOS v Arun DC and Brown 2006 in which the Court agreed with the planning inspector that the four year rule applied.

Welwyn Hatfield V Beesley relates to unauthorised development not to a breach of condition.