Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Planning guidance for Shisha Lounges?

Former Member, modified 10 Years ago.

Hello,

Having done a number of internet searches to no avail, I wondered if anyone can point me in the direction of any formal or informal planning guidance that Local Authorities have produced on Shisha Lounges. We've been having quite a few applications at the local authority I work at and we wondered if we need to produce guidance on the issue, particularly on how the planning aspects relate to the other regulatory requirements that these uses have to comply with as well as the health issues they raise.  

Any help gratefully received

Thanks

Craig

Former Member, modified 10 Years ago.

Craig,

Like you I have also been searching for any policies from other Authorities. We are coming under some pressure from Committee members to look at regulating them, either through the planning process or through Public Health enforcement. We are looking to prepare some guidance for shisha lounge operators, from a planning, health, Fire Service, Environmental Health etc perspective. In case your planning committee members are moving towards using health grounds for resisting applications, Sandwell had an appeal allowed this year - ref DCS 400-000-203. Makes interesting reading. Tower Hamlets have some useful stuff on their website, but mot planning policy. At the moment, we are assessing applications in a similar way to pubs and clubs as they tend to have similar planning issues.

louise

Hello,

Having done a number of internet searches to no avail, I wondered if anyone can point me in the direction of any formal or informal planning guidance that Local Authorities have produced on Shisha Lounges. We've been having quite a few applications at the local authority I work at and we wondered if we need to produce guidance on the issue, particularly on how the planning aspects relate to the other regulatory requirements that these uses have to comply with as well as the health issues they raise.  

Any help gratefully received

Thanks

Craig

[/quote]