Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

Challenging Validation Requirements

Former Member, modified 10 Years ago.

An application that I have submitted on behalf of a client has not accepted as valid, on the basis that there is an ongoing dispute regarding the site area and therfore the required fee.  I wish to challenge the Council's rather odd interpretation of the Fees Regulations!  My question to the Forum is this, do I have a right to appeal the non-determination of an invalid application?  I recall a (by now) very old judgement [R v Bath and North East Somerset District Council [1999] EWCA Civ 1493] in which Pill LJ said then that "I have however come to the conclusion that a right of appeal does arise even when the local planning authority have formed the opinion that the application is invalid. The applicant is entitled to have the opinion of the Secretary of State on the question of validity."  Is this still applicable?  Please bear in mind that the Council in question is Scottish, although the issue is universal ... how can a Council's validation requirements be challenged (other than by judicial review?).

Evelyn Gilder, modified 10 Years ago.

New Member Posts: 14 Join Date: 21/10/11 Recent Posts

Michael, not sure if the attached will help. An applicant appealed our decision not to validate an application because of a fee dispute, the non determination route was used after 13 weeks and the appeal was turned away. Not saying this would happen of course but maybe an appeal is an option for you.