Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Query re Class I of the GPDO (C4 to C3)

Former Member, modified 9 Years ago.

Query re Class I of the GPDO (C4 to C3)

It appears that the intention of Class I was to permit a change of a C4 house/flat to a single C3 unit. Based on the wording of Class I however it appears that it actually permits a change to multiple C3 units (e.g. a C4 house to five flats).

Government has confirmed that it is intended that Class J permits a change from B1(a) to multiple C3 units, and the same wording is used in Class J and Class I:

J. Development consisting of a change of use of a building and any land within its curtilage to a use falling within Class C3 (dwellinghouses) of the Schedule to the Use Classes Order from a use falling within Class B1(a) (offices) of that Schedule.

I. Development consisting of a change of the use of a building—

(a) to a use falling within Class C3 (dwellinghouses) of the Schedule to the Use Classes Order from a use falling within Class C4 (houses in multiple occupation) of that Schedule;

(b) to a use falling within Class C4 of that Schedule from a use falling within

Class C3.

Therefore, logically, it appears that the wording of Class I also permits a change to multiple C3 units.

So for example, a C4 dwelling could convert to five flats without permission, or a C3 dwelling could change to C4 as a permitted change, and at some point in the future change to multiple C3 units without permission.

Does anyone have a view on this interpretation? I would be interested to know if this has been tested through for example a Lawful Development Certificate application.