Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Land with 1990s structures on it, can I replace any for a dwelling?

Tina E, modified 1 Year ago.

Land with 1990s structures on it, can I replace any for a dwelling?

New Member Posts: 2 Join Date: 28/06/22 Recent Posts

I hope this okay to ask the community.  I have found a piece of land for sale by auction that has four ‘structures’ on it:

• A workshop 6 m x 4 m constructed under a light engineering license pre-1990s, which has expired.
  • A timber summer house 2.5 m x 3.5 m which replaced an existing structure in 2015, the original dating back to the early 1990s.
  • Stables 3.5 m x 7 m constructed early 1990s.
  • A single axle caravan which has been in the same location since the early 1990s. 

It is also noted in the listing ‘no recorded planning permission for the land.’

I am trying to work out based on the ‘structures’ being there for some time whether this would help me in any regard under the 10 year old and four year rule of being able to:

• either build a new structure/dwelling or replace the caravan with a bigger/newer caravan/new static home as a dwelling.

I do not believe the current caravan has been lived in permanently as a dwelling.

I haven’t seen the legal pack yet but one question I have asked the agents, which apparently they are already investigating, is how these dates are being evidenced. The caravan in particular is tucked under trees and cannot be seen by Google Maps.

As a community of professionals do I have any HOPE IN HELL of being able to get planning permission or a certificate of lawfulness to essentially live on the land permanently? 

Either in a dwelling or by replacing the caravan?

Could the footprint of the structures, if all removed, added together mean I could replace with a dwelling or caravan up to the size of all four?

I do not mind living in a static mobile home, there are many new well insulated eco ones out there but I would want to change its location within the 1.5 hectares, would this be allowed if a certificate of lawfulness is obtained?

Of the 4 structures only the worshop might be viewable from the road but you would probably have to be standing right at the entrance to the property looking up further into the land.  If driving by I don’t think you can see it.   So whatever I built/replaced if further within the land would not be seen from the road.   

The land has electricity but no water.  There are 2 nearby farms so I can’t believe a water connection is not possible.  I would expect to put in a septic tank.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Tina

You do not have permission to access the requested resource.