Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - This week

Large residential sites in the Green Belt - settlement status?

Nicki Faulkner, modified 1 Year ago.

Large residential sites in the Green Belt - settlement status?

New Member Posts: 4 Join Date: 11/07/22 Recent Posts

To provide some background - this question has arisen as part of some research that I've been undertaking into the approach to settlement hierarchy studies.  I have a missing piece of the jigsaw in my work, which I hoped may be an interesting question to ask in this forum:

With respect to windfall residential schemes on PDL in the Green Belt (meeting exception criteria g) of NPPF para 149), there are now increasing examples of relatively large, isolated residential 'sites' in the Green Belt.  These may be disused hospital or school sites for example.  In some cases, these sites may have a population of a small village.  However, the sites are generally purely residential in nature and not designed to include the same facilities as a traditional village.

To come to my question(s):   

-----> In the experience of participants of this forum, how are these type of windfall PDL developments treated when a Local Plan is updated? 

-----> Are they designated as 'new settlements' (whilst remaining washed over in the GB) and included within the settlement hierarchy as such, or are they considered to not form a settlement at all because they have no, or limited scope, for growth and they provide no facilities to support self containment? 

----->Or are they treated as extensions to the nearest settlement (for which they mainly rely on for services and facilities) but left washed over in the GB? 

Any examples or case studies of how Local Plans have been updated to reflect this type of windfall PDL development would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Nicki Faulkner  

You do not have permission to access the requested resource.
You do not have permission to access the requested resource.