Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Certificate for siting a caravan in the back garden? Does that exist?

Former Member, modified 5 Years ago.

Certificate for siting a caravan in the back garden? Does that exist?

I still don't understand if I need a certificate for siting a caravan in my back garden.  The caravan and its usage is definitely ancillary - in fact it is incapable of being a separate dwelling on account of its lack of connected services (water, electricity etc).  The best it could do is provide occasional sleeping accommodation and storage. It is definitely within the curtilage of the main dwelling house - there is no adjoining paddock or anything like that. 

So is there such a certificate?  I have tried researching this on the planning portal and via google.  Maybe there is a certificate if the caravan is intended to become a separate residence for someone but that is not the issue here.

Also, if there is such a thing as a "certificate of lawfulness for siting a caravan in the back garden" then does "not possessing the certificate" make the siting unlawful?  If siting such a caravan is already a lawful activity then how does lack of possession of a certificate make a lawful activity unlawful?

I would prefer to hear from the planning agents or the planning enforcers about their views on this one.  Thanks

You do not have permission to access the requested resource.