Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Planning fee refund

Joanna Clayton, modified 1 Year ago.

Planning fee refund

New Member Posts: 2 Join Date: 10/10/22 Recent Posts

Looking for a bit of clarification on Planning fee refunds under regulation 9a.

We have an application submitted July 2021 with an antcipated date of September 2021. An extension of time was granted until February 2022. However, a descsion has still not be given. We asked for a refund of planning fee due to the delay however the council have rejected this based on the application having an extension of time agreed previously. Our argument is that as the extension of time was up in February and we are now in October with no further discussion with the council or descision the refund should count.

richard white, modified 1 Year ago.

RE: Planning fee refund

Advocate Posts: 212 Join Date: 26/11/18 Recent Posts

See Provectus Remediation v Derbyshire County Council

Also, bearing in mind the very tight legal controls around local authority spending, an LPA that issued a discretionary refund beyond the legal requirement of the fee regs is probably acting unlawfully IMO

Lisa Maryott, modified 1 Year ago.

New Member Posts: 3 Join Date: 20/10/11 Recent Posts

Hi Joanna 

I would say there is no refund due unless the extension of time agreement included a clause to seek a refund in the event the newly agreed deadline has not been met.

This decision is based on a High Court Judgement https://optimis-consulting.co.uk/when-are-applicants-entitled-to-a-refund-of-their-fee-in-the-event-of-non-determination/

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Lisa

Hi Lisa

The idea of a secondary refund clause by way of a private agreement as part of an extension of time is interesting, but I can't help but wonder whether a LPA would lawfully be able to agree this. A public authority cannot just write cheques to whomever it pleases and it can't enter into private agreements in the way a private company can, can it? (At least not in relation to statutory functions and fees.)

Lisa Maryott, modified 1 Year ago.

New Member Posts: 3 Join Date: 20/10/11 Recent Posts

Totally agree Richard I don't think the LPA can enter into an agreement about fees at least not in relation to Statutory Functions.

Joanna Clayton, modified 1 Year ago.

New Member Posts: 2 Join Date: 10/10/22 Recent Posts

Thanks for your help. 

It's so frustrating as developers are really struggling in our area as it is becoming the norm for the council to request an extension of time upon validation and therefore removing and future rights to a refund. There are a few applications I know of that have over run by at least an additional 12 months after the granted extension of time, where negotiations are not continuing but there is a lack of descion and there seems to be no come back on the council. 

thumbnail
Richard Crawley, modified 1 Year ago.

Expert Posts: 253 Join Date: 07/12/11 Recent Posts

This is one of those cases where it might be legally sound but is an appalling lack of customer care. 

Are you not up for the risk of a non-determination appeal? 

Is there any reason / conversation for the lack of progress towards a decision?

Felicity Webber, modified 1 Year ago.

New Member Posts: 3 Join Date: 26/11/21 Recent Posts

It is my understanding that it is a requirement for the Council to renew an extension of time before the expiration of any previously agreed period. I would first recommend that you check your junk mail to eliminate the possibility that they have sought to extend this time as they may have a default agreement statement in the letter 'I would be grateful if you could please confirm your agreement to this request by replying within 5 working days'. 

I would point out that it is the duty of the Council to demonstrate that they have made such a request.

The Planning Practice Guidance makes it clear that:

'Where a valid application has not been determined within the relevant statutory period (or such other period as has been agreed in writing between the local planning authority and the applicant), the applicant has a right to appeal to the Secretary of State against non-determination.'

If the applicant has not exercised this right of appeal, and the application remains undetermined after 26 weeks, then the fee paid by the applicant will be refunded to them (unless a longer period for the decision has been agreed).

In any dispute or disagreement I would always go back to the relvant Statutory Instrument rather than the PPG.

This is because the PPG is guidance (which is right 99% of the time but there are occasions it's been wrong) is not legally enforceable in and of itself