Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Today

Permission??

Jules Vaughan, modified 1 Year ago.

Permission??

New Member Post: 1 Join Date: 06/11/22 Recent Posts

Hi, I would like to put something the size of a static caravan in my front garden (E.g a railway carried, up cycled caravan, log cabin etc)  I would like to have it plumbed in for kitchen and bathroom usage which will also be used for Airbnb or maybe rented for longer than 90 days a year, do I need planning for any of the above??

Ted Slevin, modified 1 Year ago.

RE: Permission??

Enthusiast Posts: 43 Join Date: 24/01/17 Recent Posts

Some of the things you want to do fall under the permitted development allowances others require planning permission which you would be very unlikely to get if you applied. If you apply and after refusal try to just do the permitted stuff you will find they scrutinise your development  in more detail such as making you apply for building regulation approval on the drains etc

Also placing the van in your front garden is a recipe for disaster as the neighbours will complain  and the planning department will feel obliged to do their best to stop you

Advice if you can do this 

Use a crain if necessary to put a vehicle complying with the above caravan act in the back garden

Do not assume that someone selling you a cabin or modified carriage is being truthful when they say you don't need permission. For example, many suppliers are saying you don't need wheels. You can interpret the rules this way but alternative interpretations are possible that would need to be resolved in the high court which you could not afford.  I would never assume that anything which did not have wheels and the ability to steer  i,e, not a railway carriage would be  compliant

If you are renting out as many people do you must be able to afford to stop doing this as any use must be ancillary to the main house and not separate so you may be stopped at any moment.

Do not rely on the income as it could be stopped very quickly leaving you with fines from Airbnb

Renting it out is a change of use and certainly not allowable although many people do this for years and get away with it. 

If you can do it consistently with lots of lettings for over 8 years It may become legal 

Good luck

Ted